Thursday, September 30, 2010

EDU330 Elementary Mathematics - Whole Numbers (F)

The development of numeracy and number sense begins with a child's capability of producing the standard list of whole numbers in order, that is, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..." In addition, the child must also be able to count in a one-to-one manner. This immediately reminds me of my N2 son counting in his own way! It's really funny, let's see what I mean ..





From the worksheets brought home by my children, I reckon some of the common pre-school practices mentioned in the book are 1) The Relationships of More, Less, and Same and 2) Counting On and Counting Back. Like what many others had mentioned, the uncommon practice is Anchoring Numbers to 5 and 10. Nevertheless, I personally feel that this is a good method to teach children in the early Primary School years which I have recently tried on my P1 daughter ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment