Wednesday, September 29, 2010

EDU330 Elementary Mathematics - Using Technology (E)

Math has always been my favorite subject since I was in Primary School. I enjoy the process of problem solving and the achievement of a sense of satisfaction upon deriving the correct answer :)

Over the years, calculators became such a common computation tool (especially for people like me who works in the accounting line) that parents of young children began to worry about their children relying too much on technology (calculators and computers), thus threatening their development of basic skills. I personally feel that their concern is unfounded because though I may be in contact with the calculator most of the time, my urge in solving arithmetic problems through mental sums did not slacken.

Furthermore, evidence has shown that students who used calculators in their problem-solving process had their anxiety reduced, thus improving their motivation towards the subject ;)

Some Primary Schools utilized software programs such as problemsum.com to enable their students to practice the subject at the ease of any computer system. With the aid of an interactive system, students became more interested in attempting those so-called 'boring' exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment